Convent in Zapopan
Siervas de María, Ministras de los Enfermos
C/Bella Vista, 125. Col. Linda Vista
45169 Zapopan, Jal
Tel. (333) 656-0257
Email the Vocation Director:
In December, 1897, a year and a half after arriving in Mexico City, the Sisters arrived in the city of Guadalajara. Dolores Martínez Negrete was the first supporter of this foundation, and Archbishop Pedro Loza gladly gave his approval. Their first convent was in a house on San Felipe Street, #165 that José Obeso bought and officially gave to the Community while the Sisters resided in Guadalajara. Sister Teresa Justis and a Mexican Postulant, María Bernal, arrived to make the necessary preparations for the foundation. On January 30, 1898, Father Modesto Peses Vázquez blessed the house, making it possible for them to have the Blessed Sacrament present in the Tabernacle. On February 4, 1898, six more Sisters arrived, and on February 16 the Community was complete with the newly appointed Mother Inés as Superior. However, on April 4, 1938, the Sisters had to leave the city due to the religious persecution. After 51 years of absence, the Sisters returned to the city of Zapopan, and the Community was established on December 25, 1979. The providential person in the Sisters’ return was Consuelo Verduzco de Quiñones who requested the foundation from Mother Provincial Nieves Biurrun. Currently the Sisters carry out their ministry in Zapopan with the sick in their homes and with individual patients in facilities.